D M Bortz
Associate Professor in Applied Mathematics
BioFrontiers Task Force Member
IQBio Graduate Faculty
Google Scholar ORCID ResearchGate arXiv
The primary research in my group is on mathematical biology, specifically
bacterial community population dynamics and biomechanics, cellular
migration, infectious diseases, and designs for an artificial pancreas. I
also have projects on information theoretic model selection,
computational experimental design, and emergent numerical
computations. These projects have been financially supported by NSF,
NIH, DOD, DOE, and NVIDIA.
Members of the group have gone to top-tier graduate programs
(Berkeley, Caltech, Cambridge, Northwestern, Arizona, etc.) as well as
ended up in positions at research-oriented (U. Adelaide, Air Force
Research Lab) and teaching-oriented (Harvey Mudd, Olin College, Air
Force Academy) institutions and in industry (Mathworks). They have also
won several national and international awards, e.g., NSF-GRFP (4),
DOE-CSGF (1), DOD-NDSEG (1), and Gates-Cambridge Fellowship (1).
For undergraduate and graduate students at the University of Colorado
who are interested in joining the group, please contact me directly and
attach a current resume.
Lastly, please note that at this time (1/2016) I have no postdoctoral
- Note that I check my email once a day, typically in the early morning. For time-sensitive issues, please call the main Applied Math office at (303) 492-4668 and they will contact me.
- Email: dmbortz at colorado dot edu
- Campus Office: ECOT 234
- Postal Address:
University of Colorado, Box 526
Boulder, CO 80309-0526
Students (support in parenthesis)
Refereed Articles & Book Chapters
- I. Mirzaev & D.M. Bortz. A numerical framework for computing steady states of size-structured population models and their stability. arXiv:1602.07033 Submitted February 2016.
- D.M. Bortz, E.C. Byrne, & I. Mirzaev. Inverse Problems for a Class of Conditional Probability Measure-Dependent Evolution Equations. arXiv:1510.01355 Submitted October 2015.
- I. Mirzaev & D.M. Bortz. Stability of steady states for a class of flocculation equations with growth and removal. arXiv:1507.07127 Submitted July 2015.
- D. D. Keck & D.M. Bortz. Numerical simulation of solutions and moments of the Smoluchowski coagulation equation. arXiv:1312.7240
- D.M. Bortz, Characteristic roots for two-lag linear delay differential equations, Discrete and Continuous Dynamical System - B, 2016 (to appear).
- D. D. Keck & D.M. Bortz. Generalized sensitivity functions for size-structured population models, Journal of Inverse and Ill-posed Problems, June 2016 (to appear). doi. arXiv:1406.0212
- J.T. Nardini, D.A. Chapnick, X. Liu, D.M. Bortz. Modeling Keratinocyte Wound Healing Dynamics: Cell-cell Adhesion Promotes Sustained Collective Migration, Journal of Theoretical Biology, 400(July), 103-117, 2016. doi. arXiv:1506.07081
- J.A. Stotsky, J.F. Hammond, L. Pavlovsky, E.J. Stewart, J.G. Younger, M.J. Solomon, D.M. Bortz. Variable Viscosity and Density Biofilm Simulations using an Immersed Boundary Method, Part II: Experimental Validation and the Heterogeneous Rheology-IBM, Journal of Computational Physics, 317(July), 204-222, 2016 doi. arXiv:1504.07326
- D.M. Bortz. Eigenvalues for a Two-lag linear delay differential equation, IFAC-PapersOnline, 48(12):13–16, 2015 doi
- I. Mirzaev & D.M. Bortz. Laplacian Dynamics with Synthesis and Degradation, Bulletin of Mathematical Biology 2015 doi arXiv:1404.6477.
- D.M. Bortz. Chapter 17: Modeling and simulation for nanomaterials in fluids: Nanoparticle self-assembly. In V. Tewary & Y. Zhang, editors, Modeling, characterization, and production of nanomaterials (Electronics, Photonics and Energy applications), 419-441, Woodhead/Elsevier, 2015.
- S. Sircar, E. Aisenbrey, S. Bryant & D.M. Bortz, Determining average osmolarity in Poly(ethylene glycol)-Chondrotin sulfate gels mimicking cartillage. Journal of Theoretical Biology 364(Jan), 394-406, 2015. doi arXiv:1308.4421
- S. Sircar, J. G. Younger, & D.M. Bortz. Sticky surface: sphere–sphere adhesion dynamics. Journal of Biological Dynamics 2014 doi arXiv:1301.2504
- S.M. Kissler, C. Cichowitz, S. Sankaranarayanan, & D.M. Bortz. Determination of personalized diabetes treatment plans using a two-delay model. Journal of Theoretical Biology, 359(Oct), 101-111, 2014 doi arXiv:1403.0638
- J. F. Hammond, E. J. Stewart, M. J. Solomon, J. G. Younger, & D.M. Bortz. Variable viscosity and density biofilm simulations using an Immersed Boundary Method, Part I: numerical scheme and convergence results. Computer Modeling in Engineering & Sciences, 98(3), 295-340, 2014 doi arXiv:1302.3663 (Invited paper as a part of a special issue on Computational Mechanobiology and Soft Matter Mechanics.)
- G. Lambert, A. Bergman, Q. Zhang, D.M. Bortz, & R. Austin. Physics of Biofilms: The Initial Stages of Biofilm Formation and Dynamics. New J. Physics, 16(4), 045005, Apr. 2014. doi
- S. Sircar & D.M. Bortz. Impact of flow on ligand-mediated bacterial flocculation. Mathematical Biosciences, 245(2), 314-321, Oct. 2013. doi
- A. Satorius, J. Szafranski, A. Rivera, D. Pynes, M. Ghanesan, M. J. Solomon, D. Newton, D.M. Bortz, & J. G. Younger, Complement C5a Generation by Staphylococcus epidermidis Biofilms. SHOCK, 39(4), 336-342, Apr. 2013. doi
- E. C. Conrad, Y.-Y. Hsu, D.M. Bortz, & J. G. Younger. Spatiotemporal Dynamics of Complement C5a Production within Bacterial Extracellular Polymeric Substance. Journal of Innate Immunity, 5, 114-123, Jan. 2013. (cover art!). doi
- C. W. Curtis & D.M. Bortz, Propagation of fronts in the Fisher-Kolmogorov equation with quadratically varying diffusion. Phys. Rev. E, 86(6), 066108, Dec. 2012. doi arXiv:1207.1097
- M. Thornton, C. Irvin, H. M. Chung, D.M. Bortz, M. J. Solomon, & J. G. Younger, Multicellularity and Antibiotic Resistance in Klebsiella pneumoniae Grown under Bloodstream-Mimicking Fluid Dynamic Conditions. Journal of Infectious Diseases, 206(4), 588-595, Aug. 2012. doi:10.1093/infdis/jis397
- J. F. Hammond & D.M. Bortz, Analytical solutions to Fisher’s equation with time-variable coefficients. Applied Mathematics and Computation, 218(6), 2497-2508, 2011. doi:10.1016/j.amc.2011.03.163
- E. C. Byrne, S. Dzul, M. J. Solomon, J. G. Younger, & D.M. Bortz, Postfragmentation density function for bacterial aggregates in laminar flow. Phys. Rev. E, 83(4), 41911, 2011. doi:10.1103/PhysRevE.83.041911
- S. P. Dzul, M. M. Thornton, D. N. Hohne, E. J. Stewart, A. A. Shah, D.M. Bortz, M. J. Solomon, and J. G. Younger. Contribution of the Klebsiella pneumoniae Capsule to Bacterial Aggregate and Biofilm Microstructures. Applied Environmental Microbiology, 77(5):1777–1782, Mar. 2011. doi:10.1128/AEM.01752-10
- C. M. Nypaver, M. M. Thornton, S. M. Yin, D. O. Bracho, P. W. Nelson, A. E. Jones, D.M. Bortz, & J. G. Younger, Dynamics of Human Complement―Mediated Killing of Klebsiella pneumoniae, American journal of respiratory cell and molecular biology, 43(5), 585-590, 2010. doi:10.1165/rcmb.2009-0292OC
- H. Chung, M. M. Cartwright, D.M. Bortz, T. L. Jackson, & J. G. Younger, Dynamical System Analysis of Staphylococcus epidermidis Bloodstream Infection, SHOCK, 30(5):518-526, November 2008. doi:10.1097/SHK.0b013e31816a0b77 (cover art!)
- D.M. Bortz, T. L. Jackson, K. A. Taylor, A. P. Thompson, & J. G. Younger, Klebsiella pneumoniae flocculation dynamics, Bulletin of Mathematical Biology, 70(3):745-768, April 2008. doi:10.1007/s11538-007-9277-y
- D.M. Bortz & P. W. Nelson, Model selection and mixed-effects modeling of HIV infection dynamics, Bulletin of Mathematical Biology, 68(8):2005-2025, November 2006. doi:10.1007/s11538-006-9084-x
- S. Ciupe, B. L. Bivort, D.M. Bortz, & P. W. Nelson, Estimating kinetic parameters from HIV primary infection data through the eyes of three different mathematical models, Mathematical Biosciences, 200(1):1-27, March 2006. doi:10.1016/j.mbs.2005.12.006
- I. Ben-David, S. E. Price, D.M. Bortz, S. Cohen, A. L. Bauer, T. L. Jackson, & J. G. Younger, Dynamics of intrapulmonary bacterial growth in a murine model of repeated microaspirations, Am. J. Respiratory Cell & Molecular Biology, 33(5):476-482, November 2005. doi:10.1165/rcmb.2005-0053OC
- H. T. Banks & D.M. Bortz, A parameter sensitivity methodology in the context of HIV delay equation models, Journal of Mathematical Biology, 50(6):607-625, June 2005. doi:10.1007/s00285-004-0299-x
- H. T. Banks & D.M. Bortz, Inverse Problems for a Class of Measure Dependent Dynamical Systems, Journal of Inverse and Ill-posed Problems, 13(2):103-121, April 2005. doi:10.1515/1569394053978515
- D.M. Bortz & P. W. Nelson, Sensitivity analysis of nonlinear lumped parameter models of HIV infection dynamics, Bulletin of Mathematical Biology, 66(5):1009-1026, September 2004. doi:10.1016/j.bulm.2003.10.011
- H. T. Banks, D.M. Bortz, G. A. Pinter, & L. K. Potter, Chapter 6: Modeling and imaging techniques with potential for applications in bioterrorism. In H. T. Banks and C. Castillo-Chavez, editors, Bioterrorism: Mathematical Modeling Applications in Homeland Security, volume 28 of Frontiers in Applied Mathematics, pages 129-154, SIAM, Phildelphia, PA, 2003.
- H. T. Banks, D.M. Bortz, & S. E. Holte, Incorporation of variability into the mathematical modeling of viral delays in HIV infection dynamics, Mathematical Biosciences, 183(1):63-91, May 2003. doi:10.1016/S0025-5564(02)00218-3
- D.M. Bortz, A. D. Rubio, H. T. Banks, A. B. Cain, & R. C. Smith, Control of open bay acoustics by harmonic mass injection, International Journal of Aeroacoustics, 1(1), 65-81, March 2002. doi:10.1260/1475472021502677
- A. B. Cain, A. D. Rubio, D.M. Bortz, H. T. Banks, & R. C. Smith, Reduced Order Modeling in Control of Open Cavity Acoustics, Proceedings of the AIAA, AIAA-2000-1928, June 2000.
- D.M. Bortz & C. T. Kelley, The simplex gradient and noisy optimization problems. In J. T. Borggaard, J. Burns, E. Cliff, and S. Schreck, editors, Computational Methods in Optimal Design and Control, volume 24 of Progress in Systems and Control Theory, Birkhauser, 1998, pp. 77-90.
- I. Ambats, D.M. Bortz, A. Connolly, A. Derlicki, M. Derrick, W. Kahle, & J. Thron, Studies of Hadron-Electron Separators for the ZEUS Barrel Calorimeter, Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research Section A, 368(2), 364-377, 1996. doi:10.1016/0168-9002(95)00621-4
- I. Mirzaev & D.M. Bortz. Criteria for linearized stability for a size-structured population model. arXiv:1502.02754
- E. C. Conrad, A. E. Satorius, P. Sharma, D.M. Bortz, & J. G. Younger. The Host Response to Line Sepsis: Experimental and Computational Analysis of Complement Activation against Coagulase-Negative Staphylococcal Biofilms. Annals of Emergency Medicine, 62(4):S153, 2013.
- J. G. Younger, M. M. Thornton, C. Babcock, H. M. Chung-Esaki, D.M. Bortz, & M. J. Solomon. Bloodstream-like fluid dynamic conditions promote multicellularity and antibiotic resistance in in Klebsiella pneumoniae. SHOCK, 37(1):58, 2012.
- D.M. Bortz & A. J. Christlieb. Scandalously Parallelizable Mesh Generation. arXiv:1103.5268
- M. M. Thornton, D. N. Hohne, M. J. Solomon, D.M. Bortz, & J. G. Younger. Bacterial aggregation during growth under low shear: implications for bacteremia. SHOCK, 31(7):22, 2009.
- D.M. Bortz & A. J. Christlieb. Random numerical discretizations. In Abstracts of the International Conference Inverse Problems: Modeling and Simulation, pages 29–30, 2008.
- D. Li, D. Hohne, D.M. Bortz, J. Bull, & J. G. Younger Modeling bacterial clearance from the bloodstream using computational fluid dynamics and monte carlo simulation. J. Critical Care, 22(4):344, Dec. 2007.
- J. G. Younger, H. Y. Chung, M. Cartwright, D.M. Bortz, & T. L. Jackson, Neutropenic S-epidermidis bacteremia modeled as a pharmacodynamic system, SHOCK, 27(Supplement 1):68-69, June 2007.
- D.M. Bortz. Accurate model selection computations. J. Critical Care, 21(4):359, Dec. 2006.
- H. Chung, T. L. Jackson, D.M. Bortz, M. Cartwright, & J. G. Younger, Multiple-compartment bacterial clearance kinetics during murine bacteremia, Journal of Critical Care, 21(4):359-360, December 2006.
- D.M. Bortz, T. L. Jackson, & J. G. Younger, Estimation and identification of Klebsiella pneumoniae flocculation dynamics, In Abstracts of the International Conference Inverse Problems: Modeling and Simulation, pages 15-17, 2006.
- J. G. Younger, K. Taylor, A. Thompson, & D.M. Bortz. Quantification and modeling of aggregate bacterial growth in suspension: Implications for bacteremia. SHOCK, pages 79–80, June 2006.
- I. Ben-David, S. E. Price, S. Cohen, D.M. Bortz, T. L. Jackson, & J. G. Younger, Complement C3 is necessary for early suppression of intrapulmonary bacterial growth, SHOCK, 23(Supplement 3):79-80, June 2005.
- A. L. Bauer, D.M. Bortz, D. Gammack, I. Ben-David, A. Stein, T. L. Jackson, & J. G. Younger, Virulence of Klebsiella pneumoniae predicted by nonlinear biodistributive mathematical model, SHOCK, 21(Supplement 2):29,2004.
- D.M. Bortz, Modeling, Analysis, and Estimation of an in vitro HIV Infection Using Functional Differential Equations, Ph.D. dissertation, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC, 2002.
- D.M. Bortz, R. Guy, J. Hood, K. Kirkpatrick, V. Nguyen, & V. Shimanovich, Modeling HIV infection dynamics using delay equations, In P. A. Gremaud, Z. Li, R. C. Smith, and H. T. Tran, editors, Proceedings of the 2000 Industrial Mathematics Modeling Workshop for Graduate Students, pages 48-58. Technical Report CRSC-TR00-24, Center for Research in Scientific Computation, N. C. State University, Raleigh, NC, October 2000.
- A. B. Cain, A. D. Rubio, D.M. Bortz, H. T. Banks, & R. C. Smith, Optimizing control of open bay acoustics, Tech. Report CRSC-TR00-09, Center for Research in Scientific Computation, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC, May 2000.
- A. S. Bondarenko, D.M. Bortz, & J. J. Moré, COPS: Large-scale nonlinearly constrained optimization problems, Tech. Report ANL/MCS-TM-237, Mathematics and Computer Science Division, Argonne National Laboratory, Argonne, IL, September 1998, revised October 1999.
- P. Barnes, D.M. Bortz, S. Frank, I. Loladze, E. Packard, & M. Santhanam, Power transformer clearance checking, In F. Reitich, J. S. Scroggs, and H. T. Tran, editors, Proceedings of the 1997 Industrial Mathematics Modeling Workshop for Graduate Students. Technical Report CRSC-TR98-09, Center for Research in Scientific Computation, N. C. State University, Raleigh, NC, February, 1998.
(post-group activities in parentheses, if known)
Other Useful Information
General List of fellowships
List at SIAM
List at CU
Fellowships/Awards for Graduate Students
NSF Graduate Fellowship Program
DOE Computational Science Graduate Fellowship
DOE Office of Science Graduate Student Research (SCGSR) Program
DOD Science and Engineering Graduate Fellowship
NIH Individual Predoctoral Fellowship
Science, Mathematics And Research for Transformation (SMART) Scholarship for Service Program
NASA Earth and Space Science Fellowship
GEM Fellowship Program
Hertz Foundation Graduate Fellowship
Ford Foundation Fellowship Program
Google PHD Fellowships
NVIDIA Graduate Fellowships
Intel PHD Fellowship Program
IBM PHD Fellowship
Microsoft PhD Fellowship Program
Soros Fellowships for New Americans
National Physical Science Consortium Fellowship
HHMI fellowship for international students
SIAM student paper award
APS best dissertation awards
Fellowships for Postdocs
L'Oreal For Women in Science fellowship program
NIH F32 postdoctoral fellowship
NSF computational science
NSF math postdoc
Life Sciences Research Foundation postdoc
NRC Research Associateship (deadlines)
AMS-Simons Travel Grant
List of Free Math Books
American Institute of Mathematics Open Textbook Initiative